Chandeliers are a part of a common house hold as they provide the necessary lighting to create a majestic environment in any room. These chandeliers can prove to be unsightly without proper shades to cover their light bulb. These shades on chandelier soften the light from the bulb and also get rid of its glare.
These chandelier shades can potentially ruin the charm of a chandelier if they are mismatched, worn out or broken. The very item that would have gathered praise from your guest would potentially ruin your room’s extravagant image in their eyes. This thus leads to the importance of knowing how to replace chandelier shades when required making it a valuable household technique to know.
Steps to replace chandelier shades
To replace your chandelier shades follow the following steps:
- Disconnect your chandelier. Your chandelier runs on electricity and thus there is always a chance of getting an electric shock when trying to replace chandelier shades with a running chandelier.
- When you are about to take of the old shade off from the chandelier you first have to remove the bulb. This is because “Gimble” type chandelier shades are placed from top of the bulb and screwed into the ring at the bottom of the bulb socket. When replacing chandelier shades that are clip-on this step can be skipped. This is because clip-on chandelier shades are not screwed instead they directly fit over the socket.
- Once the bulb is out of the socket unscrew the old chandelier shade. For clip-on type chandelier shades just press the shade downwards slightly, and then pull upwards and the shade will be removed.
- Now pickup the new chandelier shade. It is better to remember when replacing chandelier shades that the chandelier shade that you are about to use should be able to withstand the heat emitted from the light bulb as to avoid a fire hazard or in lighter cases the shade burning. Place the new suitable shade directly over the light bulb socket and then screw it in. for clip-on type chandelier shades once you place the shade over the socket press downwards, the shade will settle down in its place once properly fit.
- Once your shade has been placed now screw in the light bulb. For clip-on type chandelier shades this step can be done before placing the actual shade on the socket. After this turn on the light switch and enjoy the new lighting provided by your new chandelier shade.
Chandelier is a proud for your family
Following these easy steps even an amateur can easily replace chandelier shades as precautionary measures have also been mentioned in them. This way you can always keep your chandeliers both elegant and a source of pride for you and your family. Similarly you can, after learning these easy techniques, experiment with different chandelier shades and try to find the shade that not only suit your chandelier perfectly, but also provides enough light as required by the room. So the next time you call your relatives home you will not ever again be embarrassed by a broken or unclean shade.